Wednesday, June 18, 2014

In praise of models


Models, Remember them?

They are the attractive thing which keep your photographs from being a picture of a blank white wall. (Oh no! I think I just spawned a rash of theme shoots!)

So why should I thank them: haven’t I already provided them with pictures for their portfolios? Haven’t I given them “exposure” for their career? Maybe I have even given them a few dollars in payment…so surely none of them need to be thanked again, let alone praised?
bronwen
The girl who started it all, so many years ago

Being a good model has little to do with how pretty a girl is, how skilful she is at presenting and posing her body, how "cooperative" or  “malleable” she may be, or how many layers of clothing she is willing to remove to further a photographer's “art”.

There is much more to being a model than standing in front of a camera: anybody can do that. But it takes skill and ability to project a thought, an emotion, a concept or a personality down the barrel of a lens.

Modelling is hard work.

I have recently had the pleasure of working with three excellent models who not only know the difficulties of modelling and the hard work involved , but have lifted their modelling to an art form.:

Abbey Lee ,http://www.starnow.com.au/abbeycallton

Cassie Franklin, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008289011467&fref=tl_fr_box

and Rinny, who unfortunately (for photographers that is) has left modelling now to further her outstanding creativity behind the camera.

I have been photographing models for over thirty five years, and yet I will be approaching my upcoming shoots with Kerrie and Shannon-lee next week with the same anticipation, enthusiasm,  and trepidation as that first shoot so many years ago.

Experience has taught me that both these girls will be excellent, and will provide many wonderful and useful photographs.

It just pays to remember models are people too: they come from all walks of life. Some just model for the fun of it, some do it occasionally and casually, others do it only for certain photographers, and a few, a very few, take it to much greater heights than any of us could imagine, making it in a very competitive field, or as a lucrative career.

Collaboration is a much hackneyed and abused word, especially in the world of internet modelling, but models are the substance which makes or breaks your photographic results.  All the girls I have ever worked with, have been collaborators in the true sense, stamping their beauty and personalities on each and every photograph we have made together.

There are far too many to list here, but some of the memorable, and outstanding models I have worked with include:
Audrey Currie, Cathy Taylor, Donna Lynne Ralph, Elke Joris, Emma-lea Lawrence, Jackie Kirby, Jeanne Foxx, Jenny Mapperson, Joanne Dailly, Julie Govenlock, Karen Hoy, Karen Salaris, Kerry Ann Halvorson, Kim Verity, Kristine and Roslyn Brunt, Lisa Wells, Monika Gorecki, Narelle Rice, Patricia Rosario, Robyn Drew, Tonette Kelly, and Tracey Palmer, Adele Wilson,…and many more…

I have lost touch with many of these girls over the years, but if any happen to be reading this, I would love for you to get in touch.

And last but certainly not least I owe a great deal to Bronwen Creevey (nee Jarrett), the very first model I ever photographed, who not only went on to a great modelling career, but whose wonderful poise, charm, beauty and ability before the camera, and her terrific personality, convinced me that model photography was a pretty good way to make a living.

Remember, that all photographs accompanying this blog are Copyright (All Rights Reserved) and may not be used for any purpose whatsoever without written permission from the photographer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/645731338825617/
https://www.facebook.com/thedefinitearticlephotography
http://publicize.me/definitearts
https://www.pond5.com/artist/definitearts

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Stephen - this was certainly a great 'blast from the past' to look back on - such a long, long time ago .... I was an absolute green 'newbie' when I was fortunate and privileged enough to have met you. A blank canvas with stars in her eyes eager to learn with such high aspirations of entering the industry. I thought it was going to be so easy

    I am extremely indebted to you for the knowledge and experience you imparted which stayed with me throughout my time, in every assignment I took part in - without it I would have definitely floundered. The ease in which you form a connection with others to achieve a fantastic outcome is sadly lacking with a number of photographers out there, as I soon found out very quickly, and I am extremely appreciative that such an esteemed creative professional took me under his wing.

    And yes, the first thing you ever told me – "‘You have to work hard to succeed as a model" ’- was certainly correct!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome, as are alternative views...